Last year, we published 167 comment pieces and 36 reports. The purpose of the role is to sharpen our commentary and strengthen our voice across all these publications, working with research teams to clarify their arguments, conclusions and recommendations.
The successful candidate will be a first-class editor and writer, with an eye for detail and ability to identify the point of an argument (the ‘so what’ of any piece). He or she will possess excellent people skills which will enable him or her to get the best out of our team of close to 40 researchers, working within our Communications team.
We would like the successful applicant to develop this role, taking on wider responsibility for editing longer reports, working with the Director of Research.
Enhance the quality of our written content.
- Ensure all commentary is produced to the highest editorial standards.
- Edit and proof-read research reports, web text and social media posts.
- Work with researchers to craft headlines and clarify messages in publications and reports.
- Understand where we fit in the wider political environment, identifying hooks for our research
- Assess writing standards throughout the organisation and then work with the Director of Communications to support staff in advancing their skills.
- Work with the Director of Communications to enhance the quality of press releases and other statements.
- Take overall responsibility for our weekly newsletter.
- Manage the tone and voice of our publications, strengthening our reputation for robust opinion and commentary.
This will involve:
- Curating a steady stream of content on the comment section of the website, ensuring it provides insight across the breadth of our research programme.
- Editing research reports for strength of voice and clarity of argument, working with the Director and Director of Research.
- Working with researchers to develop their ideas for comment and analysis, helping to sharpen their writing skills.
- Managing the comments section of the website and working with communications colleagues to feature work on the homepage and on social media.
- Evaluating the comment section of the website to expand its reach and improve the support and advice we provide to comment authors.
- Advising researchers on how to pitch comment pieces to external media, developing a network of contacts on comment desks at key outlets.
How to apply
Closing date: Friday 16 November, 16:00
Testing stage: week commencing 19 November
Interviews: weeks commencing 19 and 26 November
Equal opportunities form
We would be grateful if you could please complete and return our equal opportunities monitoring form. This form is for monitoring purposes only and should be emailed separately to your application. Please send monitoring forms to email@example.com.